Samples and Images
While we take every care to provide items close to our samples, and images, or to your verbal discription, we remind you that leather is a natural product, batch variation (which can be quite dramatic, especially in aniline leathers) will occur, a sample is a small representation of what a hide may look like and cannot be taken as representative of the hide you will receive. Colours of images can vary to individual monitors and printers; we are not responsible for any inaccuracies. Please pay this close consideration when ordering. Always order extra hides if colour consistency is critical to your project.
Acceptance of Leather Products
We recommend you check the hides prior to cutting or marking or changing the hides from their original state, as this action constitutes acceptance of the product. Leather is a beautiful natural product, variations will occur, as will holes, Brahman zippers (this is from the removal of the hump from Brahman cattle), scars, marks and fold lines. These are standard with leathers internationally and are natural characteristics not flaws. We recomend you read our FAQs page for information on waste and yeild, leather grades, knowing your hide and more.
Acceptance of hair on hides
Hides are a beautiful product and will have natural characteristics that are to be expected with animal hides. Hair shedding, marks, repairs, natural features are to be expected with hair on hides. These are not deemed faults.
Things to check
You have the correct quantity, colour and leather type that you ordered.
There are variations in deliveries from dye lot to dye lot. Please check dye lots before cutting the leather you have received.
That there are no flaws that are uncharacteristic of leather. We are not responsible if you or the person making your project put a brand, mark, scar or tick mark (common characteristics of leather) in an area you or your client is not happy with.
Goods cannot be returned without permission from a LAPCO Representative.
Leather thickness, size and shape
All our leathers are measured for thickness and hide area size at the supplying tanneries, by accurate digital machinery to +/- 5% accuracy. Hide area is calculated using EVERY piece of leather when the hide is laid flat, and hides are graded carefully for accurate thickness per specs. Please be aware a ruler used to estimate will not accurately measure leather thickness or hide area. Only professionally calibrated callipers and flat bed digital hide scanners can be trusted.
If you return hides for supposed inaccuracies of area or thickness, and we find it to be per specifications, you will be charged a restocking fee of 15% of the value of the returned product (Min. charge $10).
If you disagree, you agree for us to send the disputed hide to LASRA (www.lasra.co.nz) for professional analysis and report, and if we are proved right you agree to be charged for all costs incurred as a result.
We are happy to take returns.
- The items must be returned in original saleable condition. Please take care to package goods carefully in the same form they were dispatched to you. If we are unable to sell the goods due to damage sustained when being returned, we reserve the right to charge you for any loses we incure.
- For exchanges, we cannot dispatch replacement goods until we receive payment for them, or have the original goods back.
- Unless we have made an error - an error is not just that you do not like the leather or hides or you think it is no good, or you incorrectly ordered; you will need to organise the return to us via a courier. If you want us to organise the return, you will be quoted first and charged for returning the goods.
- Please enclose a copy of your invoice with returns.
- Goods can be returned in person to our showroom.
- Goods must be returned within 10 working days.
- We may charge a restocking fee of 15% of the value of the returned product (Min. charge $10) for orders incorrectly ordered and returned
- Indent - Overseas orders, these cannot be returned - unless the product is faulty. We will not take back over ordered upholstery hides – please check your measurements thoroughly. An average hide is 5sqm – you will be supplied as close as possible to the amount you have ordered, but always over. Example – you want 6-8 sqm – that will take two hides approx 10-11sqm
- DO NOT tape the leather, we frequently have people return hides with masking tape, packing tape on the hides – this damages the hides- this is not acceptable on either side of the hide and will be considered damage
- DO NOT roll the leather in the wrong direction this will be considered damage this is very important for belting and saddlery sides – the top surface of the hide should be out. – Unless it is upholstery hides then it should be top surface facing in.
Address for returns:
Lapco for Leather
32 Charlotte Street
Defective or incorrectly supplied Products
For products you claim are defective or supplied by us incorrectly, we will happily replace the products on receipt of the returned goods to us, and we will reimburse any courier charges you incur in the process once we inspect the returned goods to confirm the error is indeed ours (Note: Returns Policy point 1 above applies for incorrectly supplied goods). On confirmation of any error on our part, we will at our discretion either credit you the full purchase price including shipping fees in the same method as your original payment, OR ship replacement products immediately with no additional shipping fee.
If a package/your order arrives in is clearly damaged as a result of courier mishandling, please take photos of the package BEFORE opening, in case we need to make an insurance claim against our courier company. If you find the product inside damaged, please send us the photos along with you claim so we can chase it with our courier as well.
Please be aware of the natural characteristics of leather and leather types, that are not defects, scars, holes, and leathers that mark, or have colour variation are not defects.
While LAPCO makes every endeavour to ensure that its products meet the highest standards as to quality, fitness and compliance with description, and every care is taken over selection of animal hides, no responsibility is accepted for wear and no warranty is given relating to natural product variation, variations from photograph, description or sample swatch to physical product, and the effects of any subsequent manufacturing processes. Because most of our items are made from natural products, there may be some irregularities and variations in colour and texture. These traits are characteristic of fine leather and skin and add to the beauty and character of our products